OK, here's the sequence of steps I used to get
up and running under Mac OS X. The official instructions are
, and the download is
. It's a reasonably
convoluted process, so I'd recommend having some soothing music on: I went for
Musica Antiqua Köln
Bach's "Musical Offering"
Zerothly, I already had an install of
MySQL that I'd gotten from
It wasn't set up to auto-start on boot, so I re-opened the .dmg file and ran the MySQLStartupItem.pkg package.
Firstly, I used
FinkCommander to install a collection of
lower-level utilities that are needed:
Nextly was to get all of the relevant Perl modules installed. This are the things
./checksetup.pl --check-modules command spits out; roughly:
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Bundle::Bugzilla"': this is a shortcut to get all of
the really-required modules in one go; there were a few problems, but running it repeatedly seemed
to work eventually.
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Chart::Base"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "PatchReader"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "GD::Graph"' (pointing it at the
- For the
XML::Parser module, I had to tweak things by hand a bit
cpan> look "XML::Parser"
# perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/sw/lib EXPATINCPATH=/sw/include
# make; make test; make install
At the end of all of this,
was happy, so I moved on to the
and edited the generated
- changed the value of
$db_pass to a password
- changed the value of
www to match the running Apache server
Some tweaking of the MySQL setup next:
- created a
/usr/local/mysql/data/my.cnf file, and added
max_allowed_packet=1M in a
- set up a
bugs user from the
mysql -u root command line:
mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, INDEX, ALTER, CREATE, LOCK TABLES,
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, DROP, REFERENCES ON bugs.* TO bugs@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
At this point, running
./checksetup.pl did a bunch of work: setting up Apache configuration scripts,
generating tables in the database, setting up an administrator account. Nearly there!
Next is webserver setup. To make the Bugzilla directory (
/usr/local/bugzilla-2.18.4 for me) visible to
the webserver, I just put in a symlink:
cd /Library/WebServer/Documents; ln -s /usr/local/bugzilla-2.18.4
bugzilla. Then I added the following chunk of configuration to
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf (just before
Section 3 in the existing file):
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
Options +Indexes +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks
killall -HUP httpd (to get the config file reloaded) and woot,
looks to be up and running.
The only thing left to do is to set things up so that Bugzilla can send out emails (in a manner that's effectively
equivalent to running
mail on the command line). My CD has finished playing now, so I'll defer that to another